Friday, January 7, 2011

The Kona Connection

If you would have told me 20 years ago that I would be a father of a 5 year old boy today, I would have said, "you have the wrong Scott".  If you would have told me 20 years ago that at age 51 I would be in a 15 year relationship with the  best guy in the land,  I would have said, "Yes - I hope so!"

What never entered my mind 20 years ago was that I would actually become a Papa years later.  I never allowed it to enter my mind realistically because as a gay men I had programmed myself to think that  certain aspects of life were off limits.  I didn't ache to be a parent because I had convinced myself that it couldn't happen.  When Kevin's sister asked me in August 2005 if we were considering adopting,  I answered honestly, "No".  I could have passed a polygraph with that answer.

I won't bore you with the details of how it all came about, but to continue the hokey theme...the stars just aligned.   They didn't know it at the time, but seeing two strangers (who are now our friends, Tim and Peter) walking on the beach with their daughter in Kona, Hawaii that same day started a progression of events that changed our lives forever in the best possible way.

1 comment: