Thursday, March 7, 2013

Parent-Teacher Conference

Before I begin what I really want to tell you about, let me make a comment.  It's been brought to my attention that some of my writing does not always represent the finest in grammar and punctuation.  Too bad...that's why I sometimes refer to it as "drivel".  I'm just typing thoughts as fast as they come.  In other words, I don't do an outline prior to putting words to page.

It might get a little sappy here in a minute....you've been warned.

Today was parent-teacher conference day at school.  I should clarify and say that it is really student-teacher-parent conference.  From first grade on, the students lead the conferences.  And I truly do mean lead.  It began with Caden thanking us for coming to the conference.  He then went through page after page of things he considers strengths and areas where he feels he has room for improvement.  A lot of self-assessment was quite evident.  When he mentioned that he enjoys "text-to-self connections" in reading, I knew we were at a different type of school.  We had to sit there quietly and refrain from shouting "Oh My God - what are you talking about?"  You probably know that "refraining" is not one of my strengths.  After we got over the bewilderment of watching our 7 year old son present a thoughtful and organized assessment of his academic side, we then had to hold back the tears that come when you realize  the word "proud" just isn't strong enough to convey what you feel at that moment.




No comments:

Post a Comment